Protection of Children’s Rights
Building on the work of the past years, the objective of the programme is to continue raising the professional standards of Russian legal practitioners through targeted training.
Members of Bar Associations from St Petersburg, the Leningrad Region and other towns in Russia, as well as lawyers working with local NGOs supporting children are invited to take part in the training activities.
The programme includes an introductory workshop in St Petersburg run by Russian and English experts; individual case analyses done by the trainees; a study visit of a Russian delegation to London; and a final presentation of the project outcomes.
The first seminar Children’s Rights in Civil and Criminal Proceedings in Russia and the UK is taking place on 9-10 September 2019 in St Petersburg.
Day 1: Civil proceedings – working with vulnerable children
- Galina Ibryanova, lawyer, St Petersburg
- District Judge Kenneth Grant, London
- Gill Timmis, social worker, London
Day 2: Criminal proceedings – working with young offenders, victims and witnesses
- District Judge Naomi Redhouse, Sheffield
- Lubov Smykalo, Deputy Chair of NGO “Doctors to Children”, Senior Lecturer, St Petersburg State University, Department of Child Mental Health and Early Intervention
- Andrew Bernhardt, Senior Lecturer, Step up to Social Work, University of Hertfordshire
- Keith Davies, Course Director, Faculty of Health, Social Care and Education, Kingston University and St George’s, University of London